ESPN's Steve Phillips Predicts Dontrelle to Win Comeback Player of the Year

Posted by Bob Biscigliano in , ,

I was sitting in my nice leather chair eating some cheez-its and drinking some cola, watching the Spring Training edition of Baseball Tonight, when Karl Ravech asks the other analysts to make their Comeback Player of the Year predictions. I nod my head in approval of the segment, take a swig of my drink, and listen as Steve Phillips starts with his selection.

"I think it's going to be Dontrelle Willis of the Detroit Tigers...." I nearly choke but save myself by spitting everything in my mouth out and all over the tv screen.

Is he kidding? Dontrelle Willis? The same guy who couldn't hit the broadside of the a barn last year? The guy who couldn't make it out of the second inning in his first spring training outing?

I wiped the tv screen off and sure enough there were clips flashing of Dontrelle Willis pitching in the Tigers camp and Phillips was going on and on about how Willis was a special player and going to win 15 or more games for the Tigers this year! I needed a clean pair of underpants; I was so excited to hear an 'expert' analyst making this bold call about a pitcher so many have gave up on.

Surely, Phillips has to know more than the average fan, right? At least you would hope so when he is making such a cocky prediction.

I hope he's right, but don't get too excited. Phillips loves making predictions that would work in the Tigers favor. Phillips got his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan during the end of his playing days with the Tigers organization. He has a crush on the Tigers and that's cool with me, but you have to take his talk about them with some skepticism. I wouldn't make much out of this prediction other than it feels great to hear someone else other than Jim Leyland and Dontrelle himself, talking optimistically.

UPDATE: He also just selected the Cubs to win the World Series, so he's probably drunk.

Go Tags.

UNITY

0 comments

Post a Comment

Waiver

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, Detroit4lyfe uses logos and registered trademarks to help inform the readers of D4L and to facilitate our hilarious banter.

Photos on Detroit4lyfe are, for the most part, used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.

If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (Detroit4lyfe at gmail dot com) and we will be at first reluctant, yet ultimately happy to oblige.

Our Popularity

web stats

Link Referral

The topics tend to gravitate toward Detroit sports, but we also like outer space so sometimes there will be no gravity. Essentially, if you like sports with a humorous twang, this is the blog for you to bookmark4lyfe!

whos.amung.us

SportsViews

Blogs With Balls 1.0

Blogs With Balls 1.0
June 13, 2009 in NYC

Will the Wings Repeat as Stanley Cup Champions?

How Far Will the Pistons Go in the Playoffs?

Help Us Help You

Twitty Tweets

Oldies but Goodies

Topics We've Touched On

You Don't Know My Address...