National Signing Day Hoopla

Posted by Bob Biscigliano in ,


Today is national signing day. I'm reluctant to refer to it and praise it as some kind of holiday because (a) I wasn't exempt from attending school today; and (b) I don't pay all that much attention to it anyway.

Sure there are some standout guys and I'm curious to see where they decide they want to play, but I'm not buying into ESPN's all day coverage (Ready...Set...Sign! is uber-cheesy by the way). These kids are hyped up enough and they don't need any more reason to think that they can skip out on Calculus the next day at school. This day just keeps getting bigger every year and I don't see a line being drawn.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's essential that we have scouts rating these players and I think it's more than fair to have them up on ESPN...somewhere. Eventually, I'm going to look and see where the best ranked recruits are going and see which ones are attending Michigan, Michigan State, and others in the Big Ten. It doesn't need to be today though. I can look at it in August when the season is about to start or in June when I can actually confirm these kids graduated high school. I don't live and die college football in February, but it's hard not to look when it's being jammed down my throat.

Should there be a line drawn?

It appears to me that we're heading fast down the highway to where we'll have to decide whether or not we should have a National High School Signing Day (I've already heard rumors about nationally ranking middle schoolers). It's just what we need. ESPN covering 12-year old Jamal's announcement, which so happens to disrupt his Geography quiz, that his family is moving to another school district in Michigan and he'll be attending Country Day High School.

Take Jelani Jenkins for example. He makes his announcement on ESPN like he's introducing Academy Award nominees and accepting the award for himself all in one. As if that's not enough, he then proceeds to get made fun of on national television by the ESPN anchor(s) because he was justifiably nervous while giving a speech he prepared, as best he could.

See for yourself....



UNITY

0 comments

Post a Comment

Waiver

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, Detroit4lyfe uses logos and registered trademarks to help inform the readers of D4L and to facilitate our hilarious banter.

Photos on Detroit4lyfe are, for the most part, used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.

If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (Detroit4lyfe at gmail dot com) and we will be at first reluctant, yet ultimately happy to oblige.

Our Popularity

web stats

Link Referral

The topics tend to gravitate toward Detroit sports, but we also like outer space so sometimes there will be no gravity. Essentially, if you like sports with a humorous twang, this is the blog for you to bookmark4lyfe!

whos.amung.us

SportsViews

Blogs With Balls 1.0

Blogs With Balls 1.0
June 13, 2009 in NYC

Will the Wings Repeat as Stanley Cup Champions?

How Far Will the Pistons Go in the Playoffs?

Help Us Help You

Twitty Tweets

Oldies but Goodies

Topics We've Touched On

You Don't Know My Address...